[SIPForum-discussion] In which scenario Proxy will generate CANCEL ?

Tajinder Gulati gulati.tajinder at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 08:56:32 UTC 2010

Hi,

As soon as UAS responds with 180 Ringing , a timer starts at the proxy,
which waits for the final response.

Please refer section 13.3.1.1 "Progress" in RFC 3261 where the following is
mentioned:

*A proxy has the option of canceling a transaction when there is a gap of 3
minutes between responses in a transaction. To prevent cancellation, the UAS
MUST send a non-100 provisional response at every minute, to handle the
possibility of lost provisional responses.*

On the expiry of this timer (i.e. on time out), proxy sends a *CANCEL*request.
*CANCEL *asks the UAS to cease processing the request and to generate an
error response to that request.Firstly UAS responds back with 200 OK
response confirming the receipt of CANCEL request then it sends the "487
Request Terminated" error response. This also ends the initial INVITE
transaction.

**Please refer to section 9 "*Canceling a Request*" in RFC 3261.

Regards,
Tajinder