[SIPForum-discussion] SIP response 480 is same as SIP response 408

Vijay Tiwari vijay11tiwari at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 06:09:53 UTC 2010

Hello Amit

Amit is right, and i simple words, VoIP provider2 sending invite to pstn
operator or some other voip provider if request is not reaching to other end
than VoIP Provider 2 send 408 RTO message to SIP provider 1 but if request
reach to other end than error code depend on that side, if pstn gateway send
the unavailable then it send sip provider 2 send  480 error code to sip
provider 1.

408 ---- invite is not reaching to pstn gateway
480 ---- invite is reaching to pstn gateway but  user is not available.

Thanks
vijay

vvOn Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 6:59 PM, amit salunkhe
<amitsalunkhe21 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All
>

> As per the following call flow can anybody gudie me whether receiving Sp
> response 408 instead of 480 when far end PSTN user is unavailable or
> unreachable?
>
> Call Flow-
>
> Voip provider 1--------------------->VOIP
> PSTn network--->User
>
> If VOIP provider 1 getting SIP response 408 requs. time out instead of 480
> Temp. unavailable, is this right signaling? Within RFC draft 2833 is here
> any comment on this,like for temp. unavailable or unreachable user we can
> accept 408 instead f 480?
>
> Please comment your thughts.
>

> Amit--

They can because they think they can.