[SIPForum-discussion] SIP response 480 is same as SIP response 408

AMIT ANAND amiit.anand at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 08:31:07 UTC 2010

Hi Amit,

Response 408 RTO is for a situation where any UAS is trying to send call
further but did not get any reply back.
Typically in your scenario say VOIP provider_2 is sending INVITE to PSTN
operator ( Considering conversion is occuring at PSTN operator) but is not
getting any reply from PSTN operator then it will give 408 to provider 1

Temp Unavailable is that VOIP provider 2 sent invite to PSTN and the number
is not available right now due to many possible reasons, might be turned off
incoming calls at the moment or some thing like that
So typically 408 cannot be send instead of 480.

RFC 2833 if for DTMF , for these cause codes please refer to RFC 3261

Cheers
Amit