[SIPForum-discussion] Doubts in SIP

Spencer Dawkins spencer at wonderhamster.org
Thu Jan 28 18:13:24 UTC 2010

I'm not sure I'd agree with the description of SDP as a "session protocol" - it's a session DESCRIPTION protocol, and Internet "sessions" really don't have much in common with ISO sessions (that do things like recover from transport layer failures, which SDP certainly does not do.

SIP must be one of the most successful layer violations in protocol history, but people like Dean Willis will tell you that SIP was designed by people who didn't understand layering until it was too late - so SIP has application-level retransmissions that duplicate transport-level retransmissions, etc.

Spencer