[SIPForum-discussion] Header Replaces and Parameter Replaces

Thomas_Young at 3com.com Thomas_Young at 3com.com
Thu Jan 28 16:02:36 UTC 2010

Hi Doug and all,

  Please disregard my previous message, I finally find that RFC3515 refers
to RFC5589 which refers to RFC3891.

Thanks and best regards!

 Thomas Young

Thomas Young/C/US/3Com
2010-01-28 10:47

Doug Sauder <doug.sauder at dsauder.com>
cc
discussion at sipforum.org
Subject
Re: [SIPForum-discussion]  Header Replaces and Parameter Replaces

Hi Doug,

  Thank you for helping me understand the Replaces parameter in Refer-to
header is one of headers field in the SIP URI.

  But again, where does the Replaces come from without "introduction", we
know Replaces header is specified in RFC3891, however RFC 3515 did not
refer to RFC3891. If it did, that makes sense.

Best regards!
 Thomas Young

Doug Sauder <doug.sauder at dsauder.com>
2010-01-27 17:02

Thomas Young/C/US/3Com at 3Com
cc
discussion at sipforum.org
Subject
Re: [SIPForum-discussion]  Header Replaces and Parameter Replaces

The Replaces "parameter" here is a header field in the URI.  See section
19.1.1 in RFC 3261.

--
Doug

Thomas_Young at 3com.com wrote:

Hi All,

    RFC 3515 defines a Refer method and Refer-to header, and gives us an
example of Refer-to header with Replaces parameter below:
      Refer-To: <sip:dave at denver.example.org
?Replaces=12345%40192.168.118.3%3Bto-tag%3D12345%3Bfrom-tag%3D5FFE-3994>

Unfortunately, I can't see any formal description about this Replaces
parameter this spec.

    RFC3891 defines the Replaces header with following syntax/format:
       Replaces = "Replaces" HCOLON callid *(SEMI replaces-param)
      replaces-param = to-tag / from-tag / early-flag / generic-param
      to-tag = "to-tag" EQUAL token
      from-tag = "from-tag" EQUAL token
      early-flag = "early-only"

    Examples:
      Replaces: 98732 at sip.example.com ;from-tag=r33th4x0r ;to-tag=ff87ff
      Replaces: 12adf2f34456gs5;to-tag=12345;from-tag=54321;early-only
      Replaces: 87134 at 171.161.34.23;to-tag=24796;from-tag=0

Please notice: this Replaces header has little bit different format from
tha above Replace parameter which has some unfixed separators like ?,
 %3B,%D.

   Also RFC3891specifies that Replaces header can be only used in Invite
method as below:
The Replaces header field indicates that a single dialog identified by the
header field is to be shut down and logically replaced by the incoming
INVITE in which it is contained. It is a request header  only, and defined
only for INVITE requests......

      Header field    where   proxy   ACK  BYE  CAN  INV  OPT  REG  MSG
     ------------    -----   -----   ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---
     Replaces          R              -    -    -    o    -    -    -

                                     SUB  NOT  REF  INF  UPD  PRA  PUB
                                     ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---
     Replaces          R              -    -    -    -    -    -    -

 Here I'm just wondering why RFC3515 just gives an example of Replaces
parameter in the Refer-to header without any formal description about its
syntax or format(how to parse the unfixed separators), even I know
RFC5359(SIP Service Examples) and RFC5589(SIP Call Control-Transfer)tell
us how to use it.

Thanks and best regards
 Thomas Young
is being sent by 3Com for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged information.
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure and/or distribution by any
recipient is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete and/or destroy all copies of this message regardless of form and
any included attachments and notify 3Com immediately by contacting the
sender via reply e-mail or forwarding to 3Com at postmaster at 3com.com.