[SIPForum-discussion] difference btw 408 and 504

Nitin Kapoor nitinkapoorr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 18:44:21 UTC 2010

Sylvester,

Basically 408 “Request Timeout” scenario is coming when the server could not
produce a response within a suitable amount of time, For ex: if it could not
determine the location of the user in time, (In this case client “may”
repeat the request without modifications at any later time)

Whereby  504 “Server Time-out”  occurs, when server did not receive a timely
response from an external server it accessed in attempting to process the
request. “408" (REQUEST TIMEOUT) should be used instead of this, if there
was no response within the period specified in the expires header field from
the upstream server.

As I said we can defiantly use the 408 instead of 504 but I guess for that
you have to check the configuration of the server whatever you are using or
maybe you have to do some manipulation between the codes.

Guys please correct me if the above statement is incorrect somewhere.

Thanks,

Nitin Kapoor