[SIPForum-discussion] End-to-End Authentication Using SIP

sunilkumar.verma at wipro.com sunilkumar.verma at wipro.com
Fri Jan 22 03:55:14 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am not sure if I understood this clearly.
What I can understand is in a call scenario explained below, user A
wants to authenticate if it is contacting the right proxy or not?
Please correct me if this is wrong.

User A------------Proxy ------------User B

Now considering above scenario User A will contact the proxy using the
preconfigured outbound proxy or Route header. So at transport level we
need to ensure that the proxy we are contacting is correct or not.
Currently TLS is the mechanism where we can identify if the far end is
the trusted endpoint or not. Considering the Authentication, I don't
thin there is any RFC right now in this regard, if someone in the group
has any idea on the same, please let me know as well.

Bust considering the need, it is more important to Authenticate the
user(Client) as user moves across machines and hence authentication is
required.

Regards
Sunil Verma