[SIPForum-discussion] Diff between transaction and Dialog in SIP

chandrasekhara.madduri at wipro.com chandrasekhara.madduri at wipro.com
Wed Feb 17 03:11:47 UTC 2010

Hi,

Transaction is a fundamental unit of message exchange.It refers a requst
response cycle.

A dialogue is a peer-peer relationship between two user agents and it is
created by a non-failure response to a request.Number of transactions
constitue a dialogue and it depends upon the scenario.

Example:

A invites B and B accepts it and session is established between A and B.

       Invite (1)
A ------------------> B                       1 to 3 is Transaction 1
   100 Trying (2)
  <------------------
    200 OK (3)
  <-------------------
         ACK (4)                             4 is transaction 2
   --------------------->
       BYE  (5)
                                                  5 to 6 is transaction
3
      200 OK  (6)

Transactions 1,2,3 constitute a non-failure dialogue.

Please let me know if you would like to have further explanation.

Regards,
Chandra