[SIPForum-discussion] SIP Account

Maciej Wasiel Maciej.Wasiel at dialogic.com
Fri Apr 30 17:50:29 UTC 2010

As someone who implements t.38 and fax-passthough (RTP) stacks for a living and tests them against MANY media gateways, I can assure you that RTP (passthrough) fax solutions are VERY inferior to t.38. Packets loss is only one impairment and in many cases it may not be the most significant. The problem stems from the fact that many media gateways treat RTP fax traffic like voice, which is a big no-no for fax. Silence suppression, jitter buffer underruns/overruns, and clock skew can be very damaging to modulated data whereas with voice these impairments can often go unnoticed. When you get into V.34 (SG3) fax, fax passthrough calls are even more likely to experience problems due to the non-packet loss impairments I mentioned above.