[SIPForum-discussion] NAT issue in Enterprise network

Mark R Lindsey lindsey at e-c-group.com
Thu Sep 10 13:59:59 UTC 2009

SIP wasn't designed to be NAT-friendly; NAT imposes many limitations
generally incompatible with the full breadth of design goals of SIP.
You should expect SIP to NOT work when NAT is involved UNLESS you use
some NAT traversal mechanism.

There has been a lot of work done here; Section 6 of the SIP
Hitchhikers Guide has several references to proposed and implemented
solutions to NAT traversal.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sip-hitchhikers-guide-06#section-6

In addition to what's listed there, the Session Border Controller
Functions IETF draft describes a very popular approach (SBCs) for NAT
traversal:

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-sipping-sbc-funcs-08.txt

Most service providers in the US who offer service to SIP phones will
operate an SBC to enable their customers to use NAT'd SIP phones.

Good luck!