[SIPForum-discussion] Query - 405 For BYE

David Benoit benoit at starscale.com
Sun Nov 1 00:34:36 UTC 2009

A few points here that seem to be getting confused.

1) from 3261 13.1:

      A UA that supports INVITE MUST also support ACK, CANCEL and BYE.

   So, the UA "MUST" support BYE, even when you consider the following point.

2) BYE should not be sent by a UAC if a non-2xx final status was sent by the
   UAS in response to the invite as a session had not been established.  The
   following is from 3261:

     12.3 Termination of a Dialog

     Independent of the method, if a request outside of a dialog generates a
     non-2xx final response, any early dialogs created through provisional
     confirmed dialogs is method specific.  In this specification, the BYE
     method terminates a session and the dialog associated with it.  See
     Section 15 for details.

  and (from the end of 13.2.2.4):

    If, after acknowledging any 2xx response to an INVITE, the UAC does not
    want to continue with that dialog, then the UAC MUST terminate the dialog
    by sending a BYE request as described in Section 15.

  In this case, the "redirect" server is ALWAYS sending a non-2xx final
  response, so a dialogue/session is always terminated without the need for a
  BYE.  (read the first paragraph of Section 15 for more info).

I would consider both the UAC and the UAS to be "broken" in the following
respects:

 - the UAC is improperly attempting to terminate a dialogue/session that
   doesn't exist anymore.

 - the UAS should actually support BYE even though it would only ever respond
   with an error if it were received.

David