[SIPForum-discussion] Is SDP body is required for RefreshInvites.........?

Garron, James jgarron at sonusnet.com
Mon Nov 30 15:28:28 UTC 2009

RFC 4028 states that the re-INVITE SHOULD include SDP even if the
details have not changed, and if it does it MUST have the same o-line as
the previous SDP.  I agree with Sriram in that the RFC does not state
that the entire SDP must be identical, but I would expect that not
sending the entire SDP identically could/would cause interoperability
issues with other implementations.

>From RFC 4028 Session Timers in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP);
Sect 7.4

   A re-INVITE generated to refresh the session is a normal re-INVITE,
   and an UPDATE generated to refresh a session is a normal UPDATE.  If
   a UAC knows that its peer supports the UPDATE method, it is
   RECOMMENDED that UPDATE be used instead of a re-INVITE.  A UA can
   make this determination if it has seen an Allow header field from its
   peer with the value 'UPDATE', or through a mid-dialog OPTIONS
   request.  It is RECOMMENDED that the UPDATE request not contain an
   offer [4], but a re-INVITE SHOULD contain one, even if the details of
   the session have not changed.  In that case, the offer MUST indicate
   that it has not changed.  In the case of SDP, this is accomplished by
   including the same value for the origin field as did previous SDP
   messages to its peer.  The same is true for an answer exchanged as a
   result of a session refresh request; if it has not changed, that MUST
   be indicated.