[SIPForum-discussion] Is SDP body is required for Refresh Invites.........?

Sriram Subramanian sriram.ngn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 07:31:27 UTC 2009

Hi,
       Its actually a good question ?? but not mentioned anywhere in the
RFC's detailing the behaviour ,But i have seen a case in my test bed which i
would like to share .

I have an IP phone CISCO 7960 series that actually differentiates between
reinvite and Session refresh invite based on the "Session-Version"
incremental value.The SDP body (Codecs,attribute states) ,even if u change
in a Session Refresh Invite it is not taking it into account it first checks
the 'o' lines in the SDP to see if it is incremented and then if it is not
incremented it simply ignores the other lines .This was confirmed in my
testbed when a call hold scenario was tried without incrementing the Session
Version value in the 'o' line and the ip phone did not identify it as a Hold
scenario.

Now coming to your point of mainting  the SDP body in a refresh invite .As
long as you maintain the mandatory headers declared in both RFC 2327 (m line
is mandatory as per this RFC) as well as RFC 4566 in the SDP body even if u
miss the optional headers it should not create a problem mostly.

Regards,
Sriram