[SIPForum-discussion] Unknown method behaviour for redirect server.

Samir Patni samir_patni at persistent.co.in
Sat Nov 7 10:11:04 UTC 2009

Hi Everyone,

I am little confused over redirect server behaviour for unknown methods. I can see following alternatives.

1. Respond with "501 Not Implemented"
2. Ignore it completely.

I think the 1 should be the way to go.

Also I am confused on what the RFC intends mentioning about "method names" from following statement.

" Redirect servers MUST ignore features that are not understood (including unrecognized header fields, any unknown option tags in Require,
or even method names) and proceed with the redirection of the request in question. "

Any clarifications on the above is appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Samir Patni

DISCLAIMER