[SIPForum-discussion] capability query and Invitation procedure

Keerthi keerthivarmansrinivasan at gmail.com
Fri May 22 08:43:52 UTC 2009

abhishek.chattopadhyay at wipro.com wrote:

> Hi john,
>
> This is true that we can use the SIP INVITE method to query the far
> end capability. But there can be cases where we need to find out the
> far end capability before or during the establishment of a dialog. In
> all such cases (since the invite transaction is not complete or not
> started) the re-invite construct will not be available, but option can
> very well serve the purpose.
>
> _In the same lines according to RFC:_ Option method can be used both
> within and out of a dialog, so in case of a query before initiating a
> dialog, a re-invite would not be able to help us.
>
> Further an option method is more capable for a query than an INVITE:
>
> An option can find the capability of a proxy (not the case with invite)
>
> An option with max forward 0, can also be responded without any error
> (RE-Invite, Invite handling doesn’t allow that)
>
> _From RFC 3261 section 11:_
> _ _
>    _The SIP method OPTIONS allows a UA to query another UA or a proxy_
>    _server as to its capabilities.  This allows a client to discover_
>    _information about the supported methods, content types, extensions,_
>    _codecs, etc. without "ringing" the other party._  For example, before
>    a client inserts a Require header field into an INVITE listing an
>    option that it is not certain the destination UAS supports, the
>    client can query the destination UAS with an OPTIONS to see if this
>    option is returned in a Supported header field.  All UAs MUST support
>    the OPTIONS method.
>
>    The target of the OPTIONS request is identified by the Request-URI,
>    which could identify another UA or a SIP server.  If the OPTIONS is
>    addressed to a proxy server, the Request-URI is set without a user
>    part, similar to the way a Request-URI is set for a REGISTER request.
> Please refer section 11 for more elaborate explanation.
>
> In practice I have found that when query is made using the option
> METHOD with in a dialog is done once we have received an answer for
> our offer and oppositely (OPTION) can be received and answered once we
> have answered a far end offer, and then appropriately adjusting the
> session. However I think that depends on the implementation also, and
> cannot be taken or stated as a standard.
>
> Regards
> ABHISHEK

Hi All,

I agree with your response.
In RFC 3261 says, only on the Server side (UAS), if the UAC receives the
OPTIONS Request with the Max-Forwards header value with zero (0), then
the UAC should ignore the OPTIONS request or it should response with the
200 OK OPTIONS response.

Thanks in Advance..

Regards,
Keerthi