[SIPForum-discussion] Does anybody familar with what empty Accept-Language means?

Tomasz Zieleniewski tzieleniewski at gmail.com
Mon May 11 09:21:58 UTC 2009

Hi,

In HTTP if an Accept-Language header is present, then all languages which
are assigned a quality factor greater than 0 are acceptable.
>From specification it is one non-empty list of "language-range"'s. There is
a special range "*" which represent everything which wasn't matched by
ranges.
SIP defines Accept-Language as: "Accept-Language:" + optional sequence. This
is not consistent with HTTP specification.

Accept-Language  =  "Accept-Language" HCOLON
                     [ language *(COMMA language) ]
language         =  language-range *(SEMI accept-param)
language-range   =  ( ( 1*8ALPHA *( "-" 1*8ALPHA ) ) / "*" )

So trying to applie rules from RFC 2616 with SIP definition I would say that
if the header value is empty and there is no special range "*" present
(everything which wasn't matched by ranges)
then this means that no language is acceptable.

Kind regards,
- Tomasz Zieleniewski