[SIPForum-discussion] Open Source SIP Server

Victor Pascual Avila victor.pascual.avila at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 15:53:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 5:40 PM, shaikh. bashaa<shaikh.bashaa at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, please any one can guide me how to use sip server on my domain name. Let
> me give you an example what i want. Just like voxalot.com
>
> I want to have sip server on my domain name and configure nokia sip enabled
> phones to use. That's all.

Please, spend some time reading documentation[1]. Following the
"Getting Started" guide it's pretty easy to get SER installed and
working.

> One more question, When Asterisk itself works as a sip server then what is
> the use of Openser/SER or any other software. How to integrate SER with
> Asterisk and what is the benefit of integration?

>From [2]:
"Briefly we can say that SER +ASTERISK is a strong solution because
SER does the SIP Proxy functionality being able to manage a lot of
connections in a small time, watching for the security and the access
control and additional functionalities (for example: to send SMS
messages) that not require voice channels. On the other hand, Asterisk
manage the voice calls and the connectivity between different
telephone networks and protocols (PSTN, VoIP, etc...) and giving the
functionalities of a PBX like automatic answer, autoreply, menus, etc
..."

[1] http://www.iptel.org/ser/doc/gettingstarted
[2] http://www.voipforo.com/en/ser/ser_asterisk.php

Cheers,