[SIPForum-discussion] Offer_answer issue

Tomasz Zieleniewski tzieleniewski at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 13:22:52 UTC 2009

Hi,

Particular media and supported codecs are placed within media line
in SDP field within INVITE request. So if Your UA1 supports only one
codec it should placed it there.
The behavior of the UA2 depends on the type of the offered stream send by
the UA1.
If UA1 marked stream as receive only then m line in the response from UA2
must contain at least on media format from the offer but it can also
indicate
additional format it supports not listed in the offer from UA1.
If stream is send only then UA2 must specify at least one codec from those
received in the offer.
For send and receive streams m line in the answer from UA2 must contain
at least one codec from the offer and can contain additional codecs
for informational purpose. Codecs can't be used because they weren't
present in the offer. There is additional behavior sepcified for inactive
stream
but is very seldom case.

Kind regards,
- Tomasz Zieleniewski