[SIPForum-discussion] help on From header

XIAO Xiaohong Xiaohong.Xiao at alcatel-sbell.com.cn
Thu Jul 30 04:30:58 UTC 2009

Rout,
Thank you. Yes, user=phone is present, so pre-@ part must be digit numbers.
But, the reason is not you mentioned "not using tel-uri".
According to rfc 3261 section 19.1.3 Example SIP and SIPS URIs:
sip:+1-212-555-1212:1234 at gateway.com;user=phone
In this example, it is a SIP URI, not TEL-URI.

Now I understand why following header is not valid.
From:Anonymous<sip:Anonymous at anonymous.invalid;user=phone>;tag=F4363246313536415576E403

The evidence is still in rfc3261. It says:
              /*The set of valid telephone-subscriber strings is a subset of
         valid user strings.  The user URI parameter exists to
         distinguish telephone numbers from user names that happen to
         look like telephone numbers.  If the user string contains a
         telephone number formatted as a telephone-subscriber, the user
         parameter value "phone" SHOULD be present.  Even without this
         parameter, recipients of SIP and SIPS URIs MAY interpret the
         pre-@ part as a telephone number if local restrictions on the
         name space for user name allow it.*/

According to above words, we can say:
1.   telephone-subscriber strings are only digits like "12345"
2.   user name can be digits like "12345", or like "Alice"
3.  "user=phone" is used to DISTINGUISH telephone numbers from user names.
   If "user=phone" present, it means pre-@ part is a  telephone-subscriber strings, i.e. it must be digits like  "12345".
   if "user=phone" is not present, but per-@ part is a  digits string for example  "12345",  the device who receiving this URI can regard it as a telephone-subscriber if its local policy allowes it, 4. some examples:
12345 at abc.com; user=phone             ====> correct,  the device who decoding this URI regard this as a telephone-subscriber
12345 at abc.com;     ====>  correct, the device decoding this URI can regard it as a telephone-subscriber, or just regard it as a normal user name
Alice at abc.com; user=phone                  ====> not correct, it takes "user=phone", but  per-@ par is not a telephone-subscriber.
Alice at abc.com                                      ====> correct,  the device who decoding this URI regard this as a user name