[SIPForum-discussion] help on From header

Hadriel Kaplan HKaplan at acmepacket.com
Thu Jul 30 17:28:30 UTC 2009

The "user" param of the URI is set to "phone", which is supposed to mean the username portion is a telephone number.
I can't recall where it is now exactly - it was in RFC 2543 explicitly, but it's only mentioned as a MAY in 3261 and not described well.
Since the URI username is "Anonymous" in your case, the parser is apparently choking on it not being a phone number.

In theory the device sending this message shouldn't be putting that "user=phone" param in there (or shouldn't be leaving it in there), but your device also should be able to deal with the fact it did. (i.e., be conservative in what you send, liberal in what you receive)

-hadriel