[SIPForum-discussion] SIPConnect question

Mark R Lindsey lindsey at e-c-group.com
Mon Jul 13 19:24:47 UTC 2009

I'll second Maulik's comments.

SIPConnect mandates TLS support, but does not require it to be used.
E.g., "TLS-required=no" means that TLS must NOT be used. In those
cases, ordinary SIP over TCP can be used, or SIP over UDP.

As to your question: the IP-PBX will need to register with the SP-SSE
(which you reasonably called the SP SBC).

We could re-state your question this way: would the IP-PBX ever have
direct signaling communication with the IC SBC? e.g.,

-- Would the SP-SSE ever return a 302 to the SIP-PBX, redirecting the
call from the SIP-PBX via the IC SBC?

-- Would the SP-SSE ever redirect signaling through other mechanisms
(Route / Via / Contact) via the IC SBC?

The spirit of SIPConnect, and the reference architecture, answer these
two questions with a *no*. i.e., no communication would take place
between the SIP-PBX and the IC SBC. The SP then accepts the
responsibility of all communication with the International Carrier.

However, I can't find anything in SIPConnect 1.1 v14 spec that
specifically prohibits the SP-SSE from redirecting signaling to some
other SBC. (Someone who's completely studied a recent draft can
correct me.)

 From the design perspective: there are definite advantages in using a
model where all SIP-PBX signaling goes to and from the SP-SSE only. A
couple of these are:

(a) It's much more conventional to have one service-provider-side
signaling address, so you get the advantage of heavy SIP-PBX testing.

(b) It's much easier to troubleshoot it all of the signaling flows
through the service provider's signaling endpoint.

Therefore, I strongly prefer to route all traffic through the service
provider's SSE / SBC, and disallow signaling directly from the IP PBX
to any other carrier.

Mark R Lindsey lindsey at e-c-group.com +12293160013 http://e-c-group.com/~lindsey