[SIPForum-discussion] Port Number in Contact Header

Garron, James jgarron at sonusnet.com
Wed Jan 28 21:17:34 UTC 2009

The Contact header is defined in RFC3261 as providing a SIP or SIPS URI, so looking at the ABNF:

SIP-URI          =  "sip:" [ userinfo ] hostport

so we are looking at the hostport portion

hostport         =  host [ ":" port ]

so this indicates the port is optional (anything contained in [] )

Here is a link that I find very helpful in figuring these things out.  Hope this helps.

/Jim