[SIPForum-discussion] A method to send DTMF as RTP packets

Dan York dyork at voxeo.com
Mon Feb 9 00:08:28 UTC 2009

Hasini,

Do note that RFC 2833 is now obsolete and has been superceded by RFC
4733.  (Even though most companies are only now just starting to say
that they are "RFC 2833-compliant" for sending DTMF.)  I expect we'll
see companies still talking about "RFC 2833" for some time even though
from an IETF point-of-view RFC 2833 is now obsolete and deprecated.

Regards,
Dan

On Feb 7, 2009, at 6:40 AM, Hasini Gunasinghe wrote:

> Hi,
> Thank you very much for all the replies. Actually I was looking for
> any tool, a filter or an API to achieve the task of sending DTMF as
> stated in RFC 2833. In other words, I used RTC Client API to
> implement the SIP  Stack and used various directshow filters to
> implement the media stack. And these days I am looking for a way to
> send DTMF from our soft phone.
>
> And to Eric's question, RFC 2976 states how DTMF is sent as SIP
> INFO. That functionality is provided with RTC Client API.
>
> Thank you again.
> regards,
> Hasni.
>

> On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 7:23 AM, Eric Burger <eburger at sipforum.org>
> wrote:
> RFC 4733 for RTP.
>
> How did you do SIP INFO? There is no published specification.
>
> Another option is RFC 4730, in NOTIFY.
>

> On Feb 5, 2009, at 9:33 PM, Hasini Gunasinghe wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am developing a SIP soft phone application in C++ for windows.
> There I need to implement the functionality of sending DTMF. I
> implemented it using SIP INFO method. I also need to implement
> sending DTMF as RTP packets. I was searching for a method to do that
> but still did not find a solution. If any of you know a way to
> achieve it (sucha as a filter which sends DTMF as RTP data) please
> do reply. It would be a great help.
>
> Thank you.
> regards,
> Hasini.

Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     dyork at voxeo.com
Phone: +1-407-455-5859  Skype: danyork  http://www.voxeo.com
Blogs: http://blogs.voxeo.com  http://www.disruptivetelephony.com

Build voice applications based on open standards.
Find out how at http://www.voxeo.com/free