[SIPForum-discussion] Query about SDP in SIP.

JEEVANANDHAM KARTHIC KUMAR Karthic_Kumar.Jeevanandham at alcatel-lucent.com
Tue Dec 8 06:38:15 UTC 2009

Hello Sriram,

According to the RFC3261, In this case(ie initial INVITE with SDP offer
and 180 with SDP1),  200OK(INVITE) with SDP1 has to ignore by UAC. In
other words, if UAS responds 180 ringing with SDP answer. further
(provisional or final)response has to place same SDP answer.
 I can understand this from follwoing details in RFC3261 13.2.1 Creating
the Initial INVITE
-
-
      o  If the initial offer is in an INVITE, the answer MUST be in a
         reliable non-failure message from UAS back to UAC which is
         correlated to that INVITE.  For this specification, that is
         only the final 2xx response to that INVITE.  That same exact
         answer MAY also be placed in any provisional responses sent
         prior to the answer.  The UAC MUST treat the first session
         description it receives as the answer, and MUST ignore any
         session descriptions in subsequent responses to the initial
         INVITE.
-
-
      o  Once the UAS has sent or received an answer to the initial
         offer, it MUST NOT generate subsequent offers in any responses
         to the initial INVITE.  This means that a UAS based on this
         specification alone can never generate subsequent offers until
         completion of the initial transaction.

Regards,
Karthic kumar J