[SIPForum-discussion] Customized Media Flow

Chittaranjan Panda cpanda at transcomus.com
Thu Dec 3 15:48:48 UTC 2009

Hello Ashoke,

Below policies is taken for local/remote(customized) playback using
180/183 .

1. Unless a 180 (Ringing) response is received, never generate  local
ringing.
2. If a 180 (Ringing) has been received but there are no incoming
media packets, generate local ringing.
3. If a 180 (Ringing) has been received and there are incoming  media
packets, play them and do not generate local ringing.

When UAC receives 183 + SDP it assumes that media flow will start from
UAS. For this the media flow is one way.This information can be provided
by UAS using SDP attribute.
This is not mandatory.

When UAC receives 200 OK then all the early media should stop. Because
UAS may change the media port and media type in 200 OK.

For better understanding you can refer RFC:3960.

Thanks,
-Chitta