[SIPForum-discussion] SIP response 501 not implemented

dinesh gupta dinesh.gupta2005 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 05:24:41 UTC 2009

Hi Amit,

21.5.2 501 Not Implemented

   The server does not support the functionality required to fulfill the
   request.  This is the appropriate response when a UAS does not
   recognize the request method and is not capable of supporting it for
   any user.  (Proxies forward all requests regardless of method.)

   Note that a 405 (Method Not Allowed) is sent when the server
   recognizes the request method, but that method is not allowed or
   supported.

Some times you will get 501 not implemented due to codec support too, and If
your invite sending double codec request in SDP it's also return 501( If
terminating gateway not accept double codec request)

Thank you
Dinesh

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 6:58 PM, amit salunkhe <amitsalunkhe21 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All
>          When we can expect SIP response "501 not implemented" if call
> routed from VOIP to PSTN number?  As we found when we make call from our
> VOIP line to the number or line on PSTN & if respective number or line is
> switched OFF, we got SIP response 501 not implemented. Is this correct
> behaviour?
>
>       What SIP response shud we get if device or line is switched off?
>
> Call flow=>
> VOIP device-------------------------->SIP trunking
> provider------------------------------->PSTN line which we are try to
> call.(Destination)
>
> Also is this possible VOIP carrier can manipulate SIP resposne & can send
> such diffrent resposne which is not based on actul resposne get from PSTN
> line side or VOIP side?
>

> Regards
> Amit

Thanks & Regards,