[SIPForum-discussion] Can A call to B party without proxy?

Eric Burger eburger at sipforum.org
Sun Aug 2 11:45:18 UTC 2009

You already stated the solution, and it was the whole point of SIP
from the beginning: end-to-end communications without the need for
service providers or network equipment in the network.

Proxies have always been for route discovery when the calling party
does not know the actual address of the called party. The initial idea
was the email model, where you might know that Foo works at Example,
so you would try sip:foo at example.com. It is up to example.com's proxy
to expand that to foos-phone-at-home at phone.example.net.  If you know
the address directly, there is nothing to stop you in the Internet
from sending a message directly to that address. HOWEVER, many folks
break the Internet model by putting in firewalls, NATs, and SBC's. By
definition, to gain access to those poor people cut-off from the
Internet, you will have to go through their B2BUA's. Then again, the
address of the B2BUA is the endpont from your perspective, so if you
know that address (which would be something like sip:user at sbc.example.net)
  then you still do not need a proxy.