[SIPForum-discussion] SIP User List

WIGNELL, CLIFFORD (CLIFFORD) cwignell at alcatel-lucent.com
Tue Apr 14 02:10:43 UTC 2009

Hello Tomasz,

The interesting thing that you brought up is while I think that even in
small offices a local presence approach might be best, this issue of
network management (monitoring/assurance) is an important one.

The ability for a carrier, to determine the status of any particular
subscriber in an IMS network real time is a useful one, this query as
far as I am aware is not covered by any of the 3GPP documents. However
in this case it would not be a SIP Client which wanted the information
but the Service Assurance Station (which may include a SIP Client),
registration state proves a number of items in the network, especially
if you can select a subscriber and force reregister, this proves the
network connection, CPE and the User Credentials in one go.

I would suggest that it might be easier to query the HSS as to
registration status rather than query the S-CSCF or use a subscription
mechanism.

In the next few years there will be a lot of work in the Service
assurance of IMS networks as the deployed base increases.  IP does not
Equal new TDM a lot of the old assurance Techniques need to be rethought
and there is a need for new ones.

Best regards