[SIPForum-discussion] SIP User List

WIGNELL, CLIFFORD (CLIFFORD) cwignell at alcatel-lucent.com
Sun Apr 12 23:54:34 UTC 2009

Hello Tomasz,

I don't know of a mechanism for a UA to query the Registrar; but....

A couple of comments, one SIP UA does not really need to know the
Registration status of another, SIP and in this case more importantly
the SIP servers will handle the Registered/Unregistered case; in fact
there are a number of features built in to many SIP Telephony
Application Servers which handle the unregister subscriber, for example
the terminating feature Forward on not registered.

Now, what I guess you are getting at, the UA having knowledge of the
Status of a particular subscriber (i.e. UA) so that the user can choose
the best communications mechanism then this is best served by Presence.

Presence because of its group based Opt In/Out nature is better suited
to what I think you want to do. Rather than just querying the
registration status; which I think would get out of hand, the registrar
built in to the product the company I work for may store millions of
subscribers that would be unmanageable as a simple query.

Keep on Sipping!

Cliff Wignell