[SIPForum-discussion] Maximum Lenght of a SIP URI.

usman chaudhry usman_chaudhry at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 2 09:05:31 UTC 2009

Hello All,

    What can be the maximum length (size in bytes) of a valid SIP URI. I am having a particular issue with a vendors SS whereby the switch is rejecting the Refer-To URI (for a consultative Call Transfer); the Refer-To URI is 197 characters (bytes).

    As per my understanding of RFC 3261 there is no limitation on the length of the SIP URI, neither is there any prescribed limitation on the maximum length of a URI in RFC 2396, hence the UAS (or UAC) should be defined with a maximum buffer length of 65535, which is the maximum size for a SIP message thereby ensuring that there are no buffer overflows.

    If anybody knows of a standard or RFC which specifes the maximum allowed characters (bytes) for a valid SIP URI, please pass it on to me.

Regards
Usman