[SIPForum-discussion] Question: Is any Spec/Product Available toSIP to MEGACO Converter/Adaptor

WIGNELL, CLIFFORD (CLIFFORD) cwignell at alcatel-lucent.com
Thu Sep 25 02:00:21 UTC 2008

Hello Channa,

Yes and no, SIP-H.248/Megaco is normally done in an MGCF or AGCF
depending on what type of MG is being managed. If you do a search of IP
Packet Communications Consortium (they changed names but) they have a
whitepaper which specifies this loosely.

This is a complex issue as SIP is Signaling, H.248 is control and if you
are talking about TDM MG's then the signaling leg will be something like
SS7 (see rfc 3666) or Q.931, R2, CAS and a mess of other ones.

In the simple case of going from SIP to TDM, ignoring the TDM side
signaling; the "Adaptor/Converter" needs to Route the call, i.e.
determine if it should go to the TDM side, and where on the TDM side it
should go, it needs to select an appropriate Trunk thus the MG in
question, only then do we get in to H.248 to create a contexts, find out
the port so we can generate the SDP offer and so on and so on.

I cannot think of any documents which cover all of this, SIP to PSTN is
covered by RFC3666, but the important part is the call control kernel in
the middle which links all of the protocols and their associated FSM's
together.

In short Yes, but I have only seen documents which specific the behavior
of the interfaces.

But no not completely as the behavior of the Converter/Adaptor is
specified by inference from the above.

Does anyone know of such a document, I would not mind seeing it myself!

Best regards

Cliff Wignell

Alcatel-Lucent

Director: NSA, CBG, APAC