[SIPForum-discussion] Multiple SIP devices with same URI

Stewart Bunce Stewart.Bunce at telsis.com
Fri Oct 3 14:21:59 UTC 2008

The proxy can also 'fork' the INVITE request to some or all of the devices that registered with that URI. This would result in multiple devices 'ringing' with the call being established with the first UA to send a non failure final response (i.e. a 200 OK message). Forking is described in RFC3261...

Stew

-----Original Message-----
From: discussion-bounces at sipforum.org [mailto:discussion-bounces at sipforum.org]On Behalf Of neeraj
Sent: 03 October 2008 13:28
To: Sz.Cs.; discussion at sipforum.org
Subject: Re: [SIPForum-discussion] Multiple SIP devices with same URI

hi Csaba,

During registartion each UE has to register its terminal capability. For example in your PC, u have audio as well as video capabiltiy. but other terminal you only have audio or video. similarly there are n number of capability associate with each PUI registartion. All this information is knoe to your proxy server. 

So when new request receive to your proxy server, it checks in the contact or accept contact header to get the capability requirment to handle the request. Based on the incoming request, it route it ot the correct terminal. For more detail you can check RFC 3840, 3841.

Thanks,
Neeraj
---- Original Message ----- 

To: discussion at sipforum.org 
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2008 3:51 PM
Subject: [SIPForum-discussion] Multiple SIP devices with same URI

Dear list members!

First of all, I've just registered SIPForum, this is my first letter here, so hello everyone:)

I would like to ask some questions in the future, because I'm developing SIP related technologies during my studies.
My question for now is: what happens when I call someone, who registered with more than one devices on the same SIP uri. For example I register my pc shoftphone and my VoIP client on my cellphone with: myuser at mydomain.com. If someone calls the myuser at mydomain.com which device should ring? I've read a lot of RFC-s, but didn't find my answer.

Thank you for helping me!

Csaba SZ. 

_____  

NOTICE & DISCLAIMER 
This email including attachments (this "Document") is confidential and may contain legally privileged information.  If you have received this Document in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this Document from your system without using, copying, disclosing or disseminating it or placing any reliance upon its contents.  We cannot accept liability for any breaches of confidence arising through use of this Document.

The information contained in this Document is provided solely for information purposes on an "as is" basis without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including without limitation any implied warranty of satisfactory or merchantable quality, fitness for a particular purpose or freedom from error or infringement.  The user relies on the information contained herein, and its accuracy or otherwise, entirely at their own risk.

Any opinions expressed in this Document are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Telsis.  We will not accept responsibility for any commitments made by our employees outside the scope of our business.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://sipforum.org/pipermail/discussion/attachments/20081003/805b628f/attachment-0002.html>

More information about the discussion mailing list