[SIPForum-discussion] SIP Trunk Delivery from Telco Carrier

Fortunato Lacson junlacson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 16:16:14 UTC 2008

Good morning all. So far it looks like that both implementations happen out
there. I would imagine this depends on the scale of the project.

We are on the preliminary planning stage. We needed a SIP trunk that would
deliver us 9,000 concurrent incoming calls (minimal outbound) at G.711. The
plans is to get 2 X 1 GigEthernet pipe to the public Internet for this
purpose only. We are looking at about 2 to 3 SIP providers passing us the
calls over it.

To me, personally, this is quite a big implementation. My personal worry is
the reliability of the internet to deliver all that calls.

Gui, I am wondering what kind of numbers in your implementations look like
and if you do get dropped calls from erratic internet conditions. Any other
problems encountered? I believe the SIP aware firewall intent other than NAT
is to close ports after call termination to avert DoS attacks. TLS should be
done on the SIP Proxy.

Mark, I like the beauty of the implementation. It's simple and controlled
environment. Is the SBC security you are referring to TLS? We are in Canada
and most of the SIP calls are coming from the US so getting a single vendor
solution may be a long-shot but yet to be explored.

Roland, MPLS is also what I thought should be a good option as it take away
security worries. IPSec VPN is indeed too resource intensive, especially on
my case i think.

Jamie, what are METS?

George, likewise, I do think MPLS is the way to go. I have yet bring this up
to the group. I wonder though what the cost differences would be and if
appealing enough.

Do SIP Providers implement packet marking? This would prioritize voice from
data as it traverses the network.

Does anyone see why our preliminary plan might not work as expected? My
thought is if we would experience dropped packets over the internet and not
attain our target, is to drop our CODEC to maybe G.729 but right now that is
out of the question.

Thanks and regards to all.

Fortunato