[SIPForum-discussion] What are heart beat messages in VOIP viaSIPcalls? What is the standard? T

sreekant nair sreekant_nair at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 13:18:31 UTC 2008

Thanks for the info Tim.

Here is a very interesting excerpt from the draft -

Sec 3.5.2
 Note:  The STUN mechanism is very robust and allows the detection
      of a changed IP address and port.  Many other options were
      considered, but the SIP Working Group selected the STUN-based
      approach.  Approaches using SIP requests were abandoned because
      many believed that good performance and full backwards
      compatibility using this method were mutually exclusive.Hope that helps the person who started this thread.

Cheers
Sreekant