[SIPForum-discussion] Controlling SIP UA from the application

Jamie Chen jamiechen168 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 20:34:04 UTC 2008

Hi there,

I am seeking for your advice on the following question.

(Q) Is it possible that 2 SIP UA registering the same extension and they
both can co-exist peacefully? Let's say I give the user 2 SIP capable phones
(one is office phone and the other one is cell phone) and I want them to use
the same extension (e.g. the same SIP URI,
sip:100 at mycompany.com<sip%3A100 at mycompany.com>).
In this case there are 2 SIP UA registering the same extension number. Is
this a legal SIP configuration? Or are we saying each SIP device must have
different URI?

(Q) Let's assume there is a way to achieve what the above question is tyring
to achieve. Can I have these 2 phones to be in-sync? For example, once I
answer the call from one phone. The other phone will be showing I am talking
and I can disconnect the call from the other phone.

Many thanks