RE: 回复: RE: what is the Maxlength of SIP?

Herve Jourdain herve.jourdain at mstarsemi.com
Fri Jan 25 07:05:28 UTC 2008

Hi,

The fact that it was specified to fallback to TCP if too large for a single
UDP datagram is probably to avoid IP fragmentation…

IPv4 has provision for fragmentation, but it costs resources for reassembly,
and thus is not always allowed on routers…

The 200 that was chosen in the specs is an arbitrary number that provides
space for responses larger than the request, if I remember correctly, not
the sum of IP and UDP headers (which would be only 28 bytes in IPv4, with
“standard” headers). I think the figures I gave are for the request, the
response should be able to go up to MTU…

Regards,

Herve

  _____