[SIPForum-discussion] what is the Maxlength of SIP?

Herve Jourdain herve.jourdain at mstarsemi.com
Tue Jan 22 10:11:56 UTC 2008

Hi,

In fact, it depends on your MTU¡­

The maximum size for sending a SIP request through UDP is MTU ¨C 200. If
larger, you need to send it using TCP.

If the MTU is unknown, the maximum size for sending a SIP request through
UDP is 1300.

But at the same time, the implementation is supposed to handle messages up
to the maximum datagram size (65535 bytes with IP and UDP headers for UDP),
because if the message is too big for UDP, but sending through TCP fails,
then it must be retried using UDP¡­

To be honest, I¡¯m not sure all implementations that can be found around
strictly follow these rules¡­

Regards,

Herve

  _____