[SIPForum-discussion] Ringing / Session Progress (180/183)

Herve Jourdain herve.jourdain at mstarsemi.com
Thu Jan 10 08:44:59 UTC 2008

Hi,

My personal understanding is that you can get - or not - SDP for a data
stream in both 180 and 183 responses.

I think that if SDP is present, and you support the codec(s) present in it,
you should play the RTP stream, and if already generating local tone then
stop and play it. But I'm not sure this is mandatory...

And in case 180 or 183 come without SDP inside, you should generate local
ring tone, at least for 180. I would also personally do it for 183, but I
don't think it's that straightforward...
For what I could see so far, 183 seemed to be used mostly when trunking with
PSTN or other kinds of network, but then it usually came with a SDP, so it
was possible to play the tones received.
And in the cases it didn't come with SDP, it was usually more or less
synonymous to 180, so it was safe to play local ring tone...

But again, personal experience only, so...

Regards,

Herve