[SIPForum-discussion] proper time to establish stream

Herve Jourdain herve.jourdain at mstarsemi.com
Fri Aug 29 12:21:39 UTC 2008

Hi Nora,

As far as I understand, your concern is about when caller can start sending RTP, right ?

If it’s so, then it’s only after receiving the 200 OK.

But the callee can send you “early media” by providing you SDP information in a 18X response – usually 183, but I’ve seen in 180 as well. This can carry “announcements” (tones, voice prompts, etc…).

So I think that the caller can start to “listen” to the “early media” flow as soon as it’s announced by the callee (provided it supports the codec used). But send only after receiving 200 OK (because only then does it know the codecs to use…).

Regards,

Herve

  _____