[SIPForum-discussion] Offer/Answer Model

Vivek Batra vivek7683 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 13:44:08 UTC 2008

Hi Nora,
This is interesting one. From you call flow, it is not specified whether 180
Ringing is reliable response or unreliable response. So, there are two cases
for this type of flow that 180 Ringing can reliable or non-reliable one.

1. If 180 Ringing is reliable one.
In this case, as per RFC 3262, if initial INVITE has no SDP offer and first
SDP offer is made in reliable provisional response, UAC must send the SDP
answer in PRACK.

2. If 180 Ringing is non-reliable response
In this case, as per RFC 3261, if initial INVITE has no SDP offer then SDP
offer can be made either in 200 OK (of INVITE) or in reliable provisional
response (This means explicitly that unreliable provisonal response can not
have SDP offer)

In result, as per your call flow where you have mentioned the first SDP
offer in 180 Ringing, this provisinal response must be reliable one as per
RFC 3262. And, if this is reliable one, SDP answer must be send in PRACK by
UAC (which is not mentioned in yours call flow).

I would much appreciate you feedbacks on the same!!

--Vivek Batra