[SIPForum-discussion] Response messages & Protocol

Govindraj.B.H @ Gkk govindraj_h at yahoo.co.in
Mon Sep 3 06:09:37 UTC 2007

Hi Vijay plz see the inline comments below for 2nd Qstion.
  And for the 1st Q, i think not sure.
  If the called party is busy then u will get 486 and if the N/W is busy u will get 600.

  Resalath can u have explain it in detail.

  Regards
  Govindraj B H

Vijay T <vijaycec at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
    Dear ALL
     1.What is the difference between 486-Busy Here and 600-Busy Everywhere Response messages....Please tell me some examples..

     2.In SIP call flow when TCP come into picture and when it'll be changed from UDP to TCP??explain me with some examples...

Govindraj:  By default SIP uses UDP as trnsport layer protocol. Still it depends upon the number of octets per message. If the message size is less than or equal to 1000 octets then SIP uses UDP only. If the message size just above the 1000 octets then sip statck itself try to adjust it in 1000 octets by compressing technique ( ex: via = v, call-id = c). Still if the size is beyond 1000 octets then SIP has to use TCP.

Thanks & Regards
Vijay