[SIPForum-discussion] [SIPForum-techwg] Request for Comments -Preliminary Feature Set Document

Krishnan krish at crosslink.net
Tue May 15 16:34:56 UTC 2007

Larry/all,

Agree with Peter and Dan generally. Assuming interoperability starts at
the input interface, the following is for consideration.(I have severe
rib pain due to a major collision on the soccer field; won't able to
talk, will just join in to listen}

Since, we are invoking the RFC's,  we have to go back at each instance
to make sure what is minimally required is addressed without being
burdensome.

#1.	Using a specific example of the input interface using the keypad
the following two paragraphs are extracted from RFC 3966.

	Should there be a sentence along the lines of   " While unsupported in
the URI format, the use of the notation,  is not prohibited."

Request for Comments: 3966

5.1.2.  Alphabetic Characters Corresponding to Digits

   In some countries, it is common to write phone numbers with
   alphabetic characters corresponding to certain numbers on the
   telephone keypad.  The URI format does not support this notation, as
   the mapping from alphabetic characters to digits is not completely
   uniform internationally, although there are standards
[E.161][T1.703]
   addressing this issue.

5.1.3.  Alphabetic, *, and # Characters as Identifiers

   As called and calling terminal numbers (TNs) are encoded in BCD in
   ISUP, six additional values per digit can be encoded, sometimes
   represented as the hexadecimal characters A through F.  Similarly,
   DTMF allows for the encoding of the symbols *, #, and A through D.
   However, in accordance with E.164, these may not be included in
   global numbers.  Their meaning in local numbers is not defined here,
   but they are not prohibited.

#2	In the context of Presence and IM , again from an interactive input
interface standpoint to ensure interoperability,  should the minimal
feature set (standard 104 PC QWERTY keyboard be mandated, recommended
as desirable(additional hot keys hard or soft ) or left unaddressed ?

RFC 3667 (A Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Event Package for  Key
PressStimulus (KPML))

	doesn't appear to address it. Perhaps it is done elsewhere and some
one could point me in that direction.

Ravi
(301)404-7319(Mobile)