[SIPForum-discussion] [SIPForum-techwg] Request for Comments - Preliminary Feature Set Document

peter_blatherwick at mitel.com peter_blatherwick at mitel.com
Tue May 15 13:51:07 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay.  I do have some basic comments, for discussion on the
call today.

The general categorization looks basically fine overall, though I'm sure
we could (and will) dicker over details.

My main comment is the content is (so far) basically just a list of RFCs,
with no support for why that particular list needs to be supported.  The
sections are called "features" (in Markus' listing), but do not really
list what the features are, just the RFCs.  For example, if REFER is
required, why, what user operations does it support?  I think, for each
section, we need to outline specifically what features are expected to be
supported, may even need to roughly define the features (*gasp*).   Then,
what RFCs (perhaps even specific sections) are needed to do so.  If there
are multiple ways pointed by the RFCs, then pick *one*. as the
recommended.

Another concern is there are other supporting pieces needed to provide a
quality product.  For example:
- basic IP networking (eg. Diffserv, including recommended DSCPs)
- IEEE stuff, eg 802.1D/p, 802.1Q, LLDP/LLDP-MED ...
- Acoustic performance, loss plans and such (can point to TIA specs for
these)
I Can gather some refs for these bits if we agree it is needed.

A small organization thing:  I suggest "Core" be subdivided, roughly as
follows:
   6.1 Core functions (basis for all other feature sets
      6.1.1 Core SIP (current sec 6.1)
      6.1.2 Core Networking (some of the stuff listed above)
      6.1.3 Core security (current sec 6.2)
      6.1.4 Core NAT traversal current sec 6.12 ... assuming we would want
to say all MUST do NATs)

We will also need a section on emergency services support.

Hope this helps, and talk to y'all in a few...

Peter Blatherwick

"larry schessel" <lschesse at gmail.com>
Sent by: techwg-bounces at sipforum.org
11.05.07 10:38