[SIPForum-discussion] enforcing a variable policy on codec choice

Andrew Yu jazzaddict at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 05:18:41 UTC 2007

Hi Bill,

As spoken, this feature has to be support by the ip phone. Personally, i
don't "hear" much difference between g729 & g711, I would usually set my
ip phone codec to the following order:

   1. 711a
   2. 711u
   3. G729

As you can see my codec preference is 711. Unless you can ask your
provider to allow only 729 on their network, you will end up terminating
with 711. My provider only allow 729 on their network, so my ip phone
will have 729 over on their network. Alternatively, simply configure 729
for both LAN & WAN.

Andrew