[SIPForum-discussion] SIP Call to PSTN Networks

Maddox, Sean (Practice Principal, TSG Americas) sean.maddox at hp.com
Mon Jun 11 20:02:20 UTC 2007

James,

I was always of the impression that a proxy MAY or MAY NOT require
credentials before accepting or processing a request, meaning that this
is the choice of the implementor.  Paragraph 2 from section 16 of
RFC3261 states:

'When a request arrives, an element that can play the role of a proxy
first decides if it needs to respond to the request on its own.  For
instance, the request may be malformed or the element may need
credentials from the client before acting as a proxy.'

This is also expanded upon in section 16.3 under item #6 Proxy
Authentication Check with the full details listed in section 22.3.

The attached flow chart illustrates this as part of the Request
Validation with the details of section 22.3 omitted.

As for whether or not this applies to end-to-end SIP calls or
SIP-to-something_else I believe that depends on the specifics of the
implementation.

Thx - Sean

Sean P. Maddox <sean.maddox at hp.com <mailto:sean.maddox at hp.com> >
Practice Principal, IP and Unified Communications
HP Technology Services
The Hewlett-Packard Company
tel: +1 817.898.0218
fax: +1 404.648.1014
sip:sean.maddox at hp.com

Are you Unified?  Ask me how a Unified Communications solution from
Hewlett-Packard can transform your organization.

As always, please let me know if you prefer not to receive these emails
from me. For more information regarding Hewlett-Packard's policy or to
obtain contact information, please see our privacy statement at:
http://thenew.hp.com/country/us/eng/privacy_intent.html