[SIPForum-discussion] What is the use of creating session

sayan.chowdhury at wipro.com sayan.chowdhury at wipro.com
Mon Jan 29 18:04:01 UTC 2007

Hello Harish ,
IMHO, you are confusing the concepts of a session and a dialogue .. the RTP you are talking of is a session. (so the actual media you are exchanging constitutes a session eg video session , audio session etc).
This is what you want to do (i.e. establish some kind of session) , and is the basic purpose of SIP.

A SIP dialogue , is a different thing , it's a "context" within which single or more types of sessions can be established , establishing a dialogue , among other things facilitates routing of SIP requests that relate to the same "context" (for example messages for re negotiation of session parameters) ..
Hope this helps.
Regards ,
Sayan