[SIPForum-discussion] SIP-SIMPLE Subscribe to RLS and Presence clarification

Robert Sparks rjsparks at nostrum.com
Wed Feb 14 13:58:35 UTC 2007

On Feb 14, 2007, at 12:12 AM, kamal mann wrote:

> Hi All
> I have 2 queris in SIP-SIMPLE message flow
>
> 1):   When user A sends subscribe to presence for user B and User B
> accepts it. Is User B added as a Buddy into user A's buddylist
> (User A as a watcher to user B)?
A is a watcher of B. If your application uses a notion like
buddylist, then it is likely that this subscription happened
_because_ B was added to A's buddylist.
> 2):   Why User A keeps refreshing subscription to User B even after
> B's acceptance for it?
Subscriptions in SIMPLE are soft-state - they are granted only for
some finite (negotiated at subscription) time. If A does not refresh
the subscription before it expires, the subscription times-out and is
terminated. That refresh subscription resets the timeout, setting a
new expiration.