[SIPForum-discussion] difference between softPhone&VoipPhone

石小木 sh.xm at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 14 12:33:25 UTC 2007

Hi, Hemant,

As I know, softPhone and VoIP Phone are two different definitions.
1. When talking about softPhone, we usually thinking about phone software in PC or other OS.In other words, softPhone is relative to traditional hard phone.

2. What about VoIP Phone? It seems clear that VoIP means we make call over IP network.Normally, if one call is VoIP, its voice path must be established through IP.In addition, we also find there're more and more methods for delivering signalling over IP.
For example, use SCTP.

So we could come up following conclusions:
VoIP illustrates the call uses IP network. This is the key point.While softPhone means there's no real hard phone. Often, softPhone works with VoIP tech.But VoIP phone sometimes looks like common phone box.

Hope that's helpful.Regards,-------------------------------- Xiaomu Shi (石小木) Tel: +86 131 5638 9168 E-mail: sh.xm at hotmail.com URL: http://xmood.photo.163.com

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:10:29 +0530From: hemantmehar at gmail.comTo: discussion at sipforum.orgSubject: [SIPForum-discussion] difference between softPhone&VoipPhone
hi All,
Can anybody tell me what is difference between softPhone and VOIP Phone???

Regards
Hemant