[SIPForum-discussion] calculating Round Trip RTP delay from ethereal

Adam Harding adam.harding2 at ntlworld.com
Tue Feb 13 13:06:37 UTC 2007

I want to calculate the RTP round trip delay from ethereal (not just the ethereal delay between consecutive packets).

I have read this is done using the formula : A - LSR - DLSR

Where these values are obtained from the RTCP report packets.

Once I use the formula to get a result for round trip delay using an RTCP packet, will that calculate the delay for that specific RTCP packet or an average for all the RTP packets gone before?

Any advice on the best way to calculate round trip RTP packet delay in a SIP call and what the results mean in terms of analysing the SIP call would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam Harding