[SIPForum-discussion] difference between INFO and OPTIONS method?

Eric Burger eburger at bea.com
Fri Dec 7 20:32:41 UTC 2007

And for the second question: please, please, please read RFC 3261, the
defining document for SIP.  Or, go buy SIP Demystified. Or go buy SIP:
Understanding the Session Initiation Protocol.

You would see that OPTIONS is totally orthogonal to mid-call signaling.

What might not be obvious is that INFO as it is today is a poor choice for
mid-call signaling.

To your last question: think about it.  ³How do I do something before I can
do something?² has the answer already there.

On 12/7/07 1:29 PM, "Andrea Puddu" <androjoker at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I answer to first question (correct me if I am wrong):
>
>   CANCEL request is sent when response to INVITE message is not received. If
> this INVITE request is lost and UA may still send a CANCEL request. Is this
> possible? Can CANCEL request be sent without sending an INVITE message?
>
> A CANCEL request can be sent if the 200 OK to the INVITE request has not been
> received yet from the Caller. Otherwise you have to send a BYE request.
> Furthermore I guess that if you send a CANCEL not related to an INVITE you
> will probably receive a "
> 481 Call/Transaction Does Not Exist" message. _In fact which Call-ID do you
> mean to use? It has to be the same of the INVITE request. Just try.
>

> Andrea
>

>> Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 15:09:33 +0000
>> From: nidhi_jain6680 at yahoo.co.in
>> To: discussion at sipforum.org
>> Subject: [SIPForum-discussion] difference between INFO and OPTIONS method?
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>         CANCEL request is sent when response to INVITE message is not
>> received. If
>> this INVITE request is lost and UA may still send a CANCEL request. Is this
>> possible? Can CANCEL request be sent without sending an INVITE message?
>>
>>         What is the basic difference between INFO and OPTIONS method? can
>> OPTIONS
>> used for mid-call signalling?
>>
>>         Why is ACK request required? Is it just to avoid retransmission of
>> response
>> message. This could be done even by starting the media transmission.
>>
>>         How are DTMF digits sent before the session setup?
>>
>> Please reply.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

>>  Get the freedom to save as many mails as you wish. Click here to know how.
>> <http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_mail_5/*http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail
>> /yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html/>
>

> Tutti i tuoi account di posta sul desktop..con Windows Live Mail! Windows Live
> Mail <http://www.windowslive.it>

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.